How To Get To The Top Of A Search Engine Page
Just like a celebrity-saturated party after the Grammys, the goal on a search engine is to be seen… on Page 1. How do you get ranked at the top of a search engine like Google? The easy answer is to pay big bucks for a popular keyword ad on Google so your business appears at the top, but that may not be in your budget. Also, it may not necessarily be what you want for your gym. Unless you are a large company with a large ad budget, it is not a long term solution. Your focus, as it should be, is optimal organic ranking. This this is where SEO (search engine optimization) comes into play.
5 Important Search Engine Optimization Tips
- Be mobile friendly. Google focuses on mobile like crazy. According to TechCrunch, people spend an average of 5 hours a day on their mobile devices. That number has increased quarter by quarter over the past 4 years.
- Create quality evergreen content. Evergreen content is content that is always relevant, just like evergreen trees keep their leaves all year long. Quality content is original content that inspires your readers to share your blog posts and to use them for backlinks in their own blog. A page that is used for backlinks by others tends to rank higher on Google, Bing, and other large search engines. Include internal links in your posts as well. Interlinking in your blog post helps search engine bots effectively crawl and index your articles and passes link juice from one page on your site to another. Link juice also helps with the ranking of your article as well as your domain authority (PushPress Sites clients- Call to action buttons that link to one of your program pages on your website count as well.).
- Focus on information that is relevant to your demographic. Be sure your content answers the needs of the people searching for you.
- For Google, be sure you have Google My Business and keep it updated.
- Know your keywords. If you are small gym and trying to compete with national chains, being a big fish in a small keyword pond may be something to consider (in fact, we insist on it). Use the Google Keyword Planner and find relevant keywords to your business that people are searching on but have less competition than the more popular keywords. Look into voice search friendly keywords. With Siri, Alexa, and everyone else in between, voice search is used by over a billion people worldwide. Do not overuse these keywords on your page (If you are a PushPress Sites client, our SEO plug-in will let you know if you used a keyword too many times), but be sure they are in your URL, H-tag headings, alt image tags, and when appropriate throughout your content. HEADS UP: Google is allowing searches by emoji. Keep an eye on this for your Gen Z and Millennial demographics.
SEO tips will change slightly from time to time, but the five above have remained relevant and will continue to do so going into 2018 regardless of change in technology and trends.
If you are a PushPress Sites client, SEO is included in your package. If you would like a tutorial on making your blog posts search engine friendly, contact us through the support button on your website dashboard.